Wednesday, June 27, 2007

New day for comedy


Hate: Forgetting things
Like: Spending money
Complaint of the day: I bought my lovely danish in a tea-shop this morning and when I got to the office I realised I'd left it on the counter. D'oh!

Myself and the boy headed to the International Bar last night for their comedy show. Took a lot of persuasion to actually get him there, I must admit, but it was worth it in the end.

We had only been there once in our college 'when everything was fun' days and I did feel a little old being back there. Everyone was in hoodies and grungy gear and I'd say we were the only two actually out earning in 'proper' jobs there. Well, proper in that we were finished college and had nothing else to do except work.

Last time we were there, Des Bishop was hosting. He spent the whole show trying to extract a heroin addict with old slash marks all up her arms from the toilets. He struggled to make jokes having come face to face with living sadness, but sure isn't that what comedy is all about? Taking the piss out of the unfortunate?

Aaaaaanyway, things were a lot different this time round. If anything the whole thing has become slightly more amateur, but not necessarily less fun. Gone are the Des Bishops and Joe Rooneys and stand ups in general; in their place are creative college kids, with laptops and projectors and soundbites. New media comedy I guess.

We had a presentation, a girl who acted over a soundclip, numerous clips from you tube and an interactive piano playing session. It was loadsa fun, very entertaining and really really new. They had biscuits at the interval. Better than a poke in the arse at the bar.

The International is a place where comedians go to try out new material (so I've been told anyway). If anything I think we were witness to a whole flurry of new television programmes.
Some of them are already in the making (check out http://www.idareya.ie/) while others are bound to make themselves onto shows somewhere. Bit like a live Naked Camera really.

If you're interested check out http://www.myspace.com/dietofworms who were there last night. The ATM sketch is class.

(Amused) Ladysinger

No comments: